Saturday, September 21, 2013

Preschool - A is for...

This is my first official year of mostly following a curriculum for my 3 year old preschooler. We are actually following 2 curriculums flexibly plus extras.

I found this sight called http://www.abcjesuslovesme.com/ with a free curriculum in which we are following the schedule for the school year, along with what to introduce each week (letters, numbers, shapes, colors, bible story). This curriculum is pretty basic, no day to day plan, just what to introduce each week with every fourth week being a review week/catch up week (to cover whatever you didn't get to.

I believe a week is plenty for everything they suggest, but I am also incorporating the "Letter of the Week" curriculum by Erica @ http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/ which I absolutely love! She has so many ideas and a day to day plan, that an extra week to review and finish up anything we missed works out great for us.

I also incorporated some extra crafts and fun stuff that I came up with or found on pinterest for this weeks main focus of the letter A.

Hope you enjoy! =)

 
 C is supposed to be making a collage with the alligators on the blank A page, but decided to add them to his practice cut & paste page. His favorite thing to do is the "do a dot" page which is in blue (all 3 activities by Erica @ confessions of a homeschooler)

 
We made ants out of an egg carton. I let C pick the colors

 
After the paint dried we cut up a pipe cleaner and used it as the antenna and legs.

 
I made one too. Oh and don't forget the googly eyes. =)
 
 
The final product

 
Our letter "A" for Angry
Ok...so this was supposed to be an alligator, but C wanted to put the eyes on top rather than the side and my husband thought it was A for angry (so we'll go with that).

 
His letter projects for the week.
 
Found both on Pinterest and altered just a little, but here are the links:
 
 
 
 
Here are a few more ideas on the letter A 
  
Letter A Snack Ideas
  1. Apple Slices
  2. Apple Sauce
  3. Almonds
  4. Almond butter on Toast or fruit
  5. Apricots
  6. Animal crackers
  7. Artichokes
  8. Avocado
  9. Asparagus
  10. Ants on a Log
Letter A Sweet Treats
  1. Apple Pie 
  2. Apple Tart
  3. Apple Cobbler
  4. Angel food cake
  5. Apple fritters 
Books to Read "A"
  • "Apples and How They Grow" by Laura Driscoll
  • "My a Book" by Jane Belk
  • "The Apple Pie Tree" by Zoe Hall
  • "Angels Watching Over Me" by Lynn Hodges
  • "A is for Zebra" by Mark Shulman
  • "An Ant's Day Off" by Bonny Becker
 
 
Hands On - Sensory or Scavenger Hunt
 
This week I filled a basket with things that begin with the letter A or you could even make a list up and have your preschooler find the items on the list. Here is my basket:
 
Alligator, Big A, little a, Antlers, Apple, Army man, Airplane, Foam Ant, My "a" Book

 
 

 
Hope this information was helpful, please leave a comment and let us know what you thought of the post.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment