Monday, June 17, 2013

Aqua Blast - Switch Up Your Summer Workout With a Water Workout



I have always been and will always be a runner. There is nothing quite like it!  I always feel like I had a great workout whether I just ran 1 mile easy or 10 miles at race pace.

BUT after having my second baby (4 months ago) and being left with an extra 35lbs (to my pre baby weight), running is just a little too tough on the lower half to do every day (I'm sticking to 2xs/week).

So....I decided to try something I have never done before...Aqua Blast! Its a 30 minute cardio/high intensity water aerobics class. After my first class I could barely walk the next few days without feeling my calf muscles scream at me for what they went through, but with a little foam rolling and lots of stretching...it went away. So I went back for more and guess what??? My calf muscles weren't half as bad (soreness wise)...they are building up and looking toner all ready.

Some of the best things I find about working out in the pool is that you don't sweat, there is no impact on your joints, it really works your muscles with the water resistance, and you really don't feel like your working out. Its a fun way to mix up your summer workout.

Check out the local pools in your area to see if they offer any type of water aerobics or see below for some tips on doing it on your own.


Water Workout:
  • You want to be in water that comes to the center of your chest or just below.
  • Start by warming up with a march or jog (in place or back and forth)
  • Use your upper body to get the blood flowing more (keeping your arms in the water)
  • Fingers together for more resistance or apart for lighter resistance
  • Push and Pull with your arms and legs to really utilize the water resistance
Sample Aqua Blast:
  • Warm up - Jog in place, elbows in moving arms front to back
  • Get the knees higher - try to touch the top of the water
  • Take knees wider
  • Alternate between High knees and Wide knees 1 minute each 2-3xs
  • Rocking Horse - Right knee forward, Left leg back
    • Switch after a minute (to L forward - R back)
  • Add upper body by clapping under water in front and behind (switch after a minute)
  • Toy Soldier - straight arms and straight legs (this is high intensity so you are bouncing around while doing these moves)
  • Mix up the direction of arms and legs during Toy Soldier...
    • Straight kicks
    • Front corner kicks
    • Pendulum kicks (side to side)
    • Back corners
    • Straight back
  • Do each move about 30 seconds then repeat
  • Throw in some sprints - 15seconds 3-5sets
    • In place get low and run as fast as you can using upper body too
  • Jumping Jacks
  • Frog Hops
Remember to take it at your own pace.  Jog or walk in place to recover when needed or between Blast Drills. Most importantly have fun, your body will thank you when your done!

Let me know what you think about this post. Happy working out and God Bless =)

Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment